Weiss Lake Crappie Report - 5-26-17

Where did the Crappie Go ?  This is the question being asked by many.

The crappie are still there, but you have to find them to catch them.
Early mornings and late afternoons are good times to fish for crappie
at this time of year, and nighttime is even better.  The crappie have moved out
of the shallows and are staying close to the major creek and main river ledges.
The mouths of creeks are good when fishing 12 to 18 ft. deep with double
minnow rigs with a 3/4 or 1 oz. weight.  I prefer the Eagle Claw light wire
# 2 hooks.  If there is an old road bed and bridge underwater, try the road drop
off where the bridge was connected before it was tore down.

The Coosa River will hold crappie on it's ledges where stumps and brush piles
are located in 14 to 20 ft. of water through June and move even deeper in July,
August, and September.  Spider-rigging is the best day time tactic during summer, as it is on
most large reservoirs  with river current.  The main river and creek channels flowing
through a reservoir will provide cooler water, more oxygen, and bait fish.  These
channels are like roads for the fish, and they will stay close to the cover on the ledges;
natural or man-made habitat will hold fish.

The crappie will move up on the adjoining flats, around bridges, and deep docks at
night to feed.  Try fishing the channels under bridges at night with lights, to attract
bait fish. You can hang gas lanterns on the side of your boat with lantern holders, or
use submersible DC lights, or floating lights connected to your boat batteries.  The lights
will attract bait fish and insects and that will attract the crappie.  I prefer water 18' to 30 '
deep, and the best fishing for me is about half way off bottom deep, with minnows.  I also like the D/C 50 watt light bulbs purchased at auto parts stores. I put them into the aluminum dome shop lights
and attach to my boat batteries.  I  attach them to the side of my boat to see my rod tips and attract bait fish.  They work great and will not use much of your battery power; they will easily last all night.

My brother and I went this past week and had 40+ nice keepers. We started at 6:30 am and quit at 10:30 am; when it started to get hot.  I am attaching a picture of our cooler full of nice crappie.
If you don't know your way around Weiss Lake; I recommend that you employ a guide for
one day and ask them to show you places for summertime crappie.  You can use a lake map
to find good places as well.  Good electronics is an absolute must.  I don't fish if I don't see fish on my sonar/gps unit.   Need a good place to stay, with big clean rooms, charging stations for your boat, fish cleaning and storage facilities and only 3 minutes from the center of Weiss Lake -  Call Weiss Lake Lodge, or visit their web site or Facebook page for details.   See ya'll on the lake....

Pop Rivers




Comments

Popular posts from this blog